TWA, Transatlantic Flight, Crossroads, TWA Museum
Charles Lindbergh wasn’t born in Missouri (Michigan, actually) – in fact, he never even lived here. No, Lindbergh’s relationship with Kansas City wasn’t based in his roots, but in his influence transforming the city into a flight hub. The beloved figure of flight brought Trans World Airlines (TWA) corporate headquarters to 1735 Baltimore Ave. in the Crossroads district in 1931.
Lindbergh: famed for his historic transatlantic flight in 1927, during which he piloted the “Spirit of St. Louis” solo from New York City to Paris. Shortly following, Lindbergh was asked to dedicate Kansas City, Mo.’s brand new Municipal Airport (now the Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport on NW Richards Rd.). A fan of the city, Lindbergh offered kind words and even stayed for the parade afterward.
Lou Holland was the president of the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce. When in 1928 he heard the Transcontinental Air Transport line was searching for a new location – and that Lindbergh was leading the selection committee – he immediately contacted Lindbergh, hopeful for Kansas City. Lindbergh delivered. In 1931, TWA corporate headquarters made the move from New York to our little crossroads of the country. This was huge – TWA was one of the “Big Four” airlines. Soon enough, Kansas City, Mo. called itself the “Air Hub of America.”
In 2006, the old Crossroads TWA headquarters was renovated for office space, and the TWA Museum is located on 10 Richards Road in Kansas City – “Where it all began.”