Western Newspaper Union, The Kansas City Journal, 10th Street
The Bunker Building, built in 1881, housed the Western Newspaper Union, which was considered “one of the most important enterprises” in Kansas City during the turn of the century. Founder George Joslyn of Iowa teamed with former Kansas City Journal members (and KC real-estate moguls) Walter A. Bunker and John McEwen to create a Western Newspaper branch here in the heart of Missouri. The company rose to greatness as one of the largest printing suppliers in the country – boasting more than 400 Midwest newspapers as clients. Later, Walter Bunker purchased the Kansas City Journal, and Western Newspaper moved to its own building on 10th Street. The original headquarters held at 9th and Baltimore features an array of stylistic elements, combining Victorian, Gothic and Romanesque designs.